Using Find My iPad
You can find a lost iPad by using iCloud. The instructions here describe the process using a computer. If you install the Find My iPhone app on another iOS device, you can also use that device to locate your lost iPad via a similar process.
Before you can use Find My iPad, you must turn this service on, using the Settings app on the iPad. If it is not turned on and you lose the iPad, you won't be able to use Find My iPad. You also must have an iCloud account before you can use Find My iPad ( instructions for creating an account and turning on Find My iPad here ).
1. Direct your web browser to the following URL: http://www.icloud.com
2. Sign in to iCloud using your iTunes account credentials
3. Click on the Find My iPhone icon (yes, it works for iPad also)
4. If your iPad has been connected to the internet (by wireless) in the recent past or currently, it should be located on a Google Map. The image below shows portions of the computer screen for an iPad located in a classroom in the Boler School (the green dot ). You can't expect the location service to be exact, but it should mark the true location approximately.
5. After the iPad is located, you have some options to help recover it. Click on the Devices button to open a list of "My Devices" and click on the device.
6. The screen below will appear (or if you have a newer iPad, the second screen below). If you think the iPad is nearby, but you just can't find it, you can make it play a sound. This will work if the iPad is on or in sleep mode. If it is off, then the sound won't play. You also have the options to lock the iPad or erase the contents on the iPad. Select the appropriate button depending on what you want to do. The remainder of the instructions cover the lock procedure only (select Lock or Lost Mode, depending on your iPad model).
7. If you have not already applied a passcode to the iPad, the screen below will appear. Enter a 4 digit passcode. Once you have done this, the iPad can't be used by anyone unless they know the passcode.
8. You can also enter a text message that will appear on the iPad when it is turned on. You could supply your name and contact information, which would assist the person who found your iPad in returning it to you. Once you click the Lock button on this screen, the passcode will be applied and the message will appear on the iPad.
9. The image below will appear on your computer screen confirming that the iPad has been locked.