now for the question of the day---is your computer 'male' or 'female'? You decide!
As you are aware, ships have long been characterized as being female. (e.g.,
"Steady as she goes" or "She's listing to starboard, Captain!")
Recently, a group of computer scientists (all male) announced that computers
should also be referred to as being female. Their reasons for drawing this conclusion:
- No one but the Creator understands their internal logic.
- The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible
to everyone else.
- The message "Bad command or file name" is about as informative as, "If
you don't know why I'm mad at you, then I'm certainly not going to tell
- Even your smallest mistakes are stored in long-term memory for later
- As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half
your paycheck on accessories for it.
another group of computer scientists (all female) think that computers should
be referred to as if they were male. Their reasons:
- They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
- They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they
ARE the problem.
- As soon as you commit to one you realize that, if you had waited a little
longer, you could have obtained a better model.
- In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
- Big power surges knock them out for the rest of the night.