Uncovering Assumptions about Success
A self-assessment exercise on basic value orientations;
select the item of each pair with which you agree most:
- Wars are unavoidable.
- Wars are avoidable.
- Bad luck is conditioned by our behavior.
- Bad luck is something we do not control.
- To keep trying is the key to success.
- Success comes and goes according to circumstances.
- People's failure is due to uncontrolled events.
- People fail because they do not use the right approaches
to cope with problems.
- Promotions are linked to good work.
- To take advantage of opportunities is the key to
- Whatever you do some people will never like you.
- People will like you if you approach them the right
- Our personality is determined by our genes.
- Our personality is a function of what we decide to
- The art of living is to have faith in one's own destiny.
- To live happily is to assume responsibility for one's
- Good planning leads to success.
- Fate determines success.
- Life can be unfair to some people.
- Some people just don't handle life the right way.
- Things can be modified according to our deeds.
- What has to happen happens.
- To be at the right place at the right time is critical
- To be alert and ready to take initiatives is critical
- Adversity is something we fight.
- Adversity is something to which we adapt.
- Power is in the hands of a minority of people who
control our society.
- Each individual is accountable for what happens in
- One can find strengths in each individual.
- There are people who are simply hopeless.
- Most rational decisions are effective in controlling
- To decide at random is by and large as effective
as any systematic decision-making process.
- Our survival depends on forces of which we are not
- Our survival depends on our ability to understand
and control the world.
- One should be able to learn from one's own mistakes.
- Mistakes do not help some things and situations change
- Many failures are due to unforeseen events.
- Failures are mostly due to ignorance.
- Hard work helps people make things happen to them.
- Chance plays an important role in people's lives.